Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You have put Gladness in my heart...Psalm 4:7

I am full of the joy of the Lord when I look upon these kids of mine. I am so thankful for them and wanted to take a moment to brag.

Ashton just received her Leap score and she scored mastery in three subjects and advanced in one. She gets to wear jeans every day til the end of school and I am so proud of her.

Ragan finishes her quarter and first year at La Tech this Friday. She's been on the dean's list every quarter and has grown into an independent woman since she's been away at school and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Keelea, I have to admit, is my little clone... I'm so sorry that she got most of my gene pool because this girl will be cursed with proficiency, perfectionism, and pressure to succeed her whole life... What a little genius she is and I'm amazed every day at how she handles the responsibility of life. She sets her alarm and gets up and ready for school on her own. This morning she was sitting on the couch waiting for me, having already eaten her breakfast and as we ran to the car, Ashton said, "I wish I had eaten." And Keelea had grabbed a breakfast bar and a glass of milk and said, "Here you can have this."

I mean, what other 12 year old does that?

I've had a conversation recently with one of my Sunday School students and after praying and seeking the Lord's heart I believe that He has given me a glimpse of His perspective on parenting, and instilling a little independence in my children.

My students' parents were the over-protective, over-bearing, overly-strict, over-EVERYTHING type of parents and she is really struggling with her independence and knowing who the authority in her life should be... I have had a little talk with the Lord about this particular topic and this is what I feel he's revealing to me.

God is a God of ORDER...He doesn't want our lives to be random or accidental. His will is that we "let all things be done decently and in order." (1 Corinthians 14:40) and when we pray to Him about it, He will help us do just that.

As an adult who is single, married, or divorced... God is our authority... as children, we are under the authority of our parents, but as an adult, we are under the authority of Christ. God will show us how to align ourselves under proper authority...

How does he do that, you ask?

Through our submission to Him... Submission is something we decide to do, not something that is forced on us to do. When we submit ourselves to the Lord, it is a condition of our heart... meaning we are willing to fall into proper alignment in accordance to God's will. Ask God to help you discern exactly to whom you are to be submitted and in what way. Don't just submit blindly or ignorantly. Know what you are doing. When your heart's desire is to do what's right and be in right order, God will help you find that perfect balance.

It seems so juvenile, so simple, yet so many people struggle with the submission concept... Basically, when you love God first, and others as yourself, then all your priorities fall into place and you will be in right order. Now, how do you know what your priorities should be? You ask God to show you.

If you are thinking, "This sounds crazy." I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I just have to ask you this... Have you stopped today and given God some praise? Have you thanked God today for loving you? Have you prayed for someone you know who has a need? Have you loved God first, above all else, and then others second, and yourself last?

If all you can remember thinking about, praying about, or talking about is YOU! then your priorities are wrong... As in NOT RIGHT!

I don't mean to sound harsh or unloving, but this is how submission works... God desires that "This mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." Philippians 2:5-8)

Our two most important priorities come directly from the Word of God. Jesus told us about them saying, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and the great commandment. And the second is like it; 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" (Matthew 22:37-39)

If you do this, I promise, that you will find yourself following the path of righteousness, and peace, and stability, and honesty, and holiness, and, of course, WHOLENESS!!!

Right standing with God and parents, and employers, and pastors, and everyone else...

Go give God some praise today...
I love you!
Lea Anne

No comments: