Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Coping with Criticism...

I keep telling myself that my feelings aren't hurt... I can handle criticism... I can hear the answers to the questions that I myself asked...

So why is it so hard to hear "not-so-pleasant" things from our spouses?

The challenge on Day 5 was to ask your spouse what were the three most irritating things I do?

The first one I knew was coming because I've commented on it myself... I lift my voice almost two octaves higher in response to him when it isn't even necessary... I'm short and loud... A lot...

The second was that I wasn't as spontaneous as I used to be... Okay I'll give him that one too... Although I'm just tired... Oh wait, I forgot that in the challenge I wasn't suppose to defend myself, I was only suppose to hear his responses... Okay, so no defensive retorts... just accept the facts...

The third thing caught me a little by surprise and totally didn't see it coming... He said that my "No-Worry" attitude caused me to be a little uncautious... That I didn't seem to care about things that needed me to care a little more about... Okay, so I don't plan on changing that aspect, but I can receive it and take a look at it to evaluate what I might need to be more cautious about.

The Love Dare is certainly a challenge and I can imagine if you don't really like your spouse, how difficult it could be to submit like the book asks you to. Doing the challenges alone is an act of submission. I don't have a problem with that at all. I think the self reflection is more of a problem for me than the submission.

I will trust that this will only enhance our wedded bliss, so I will continue.

Oh, I'm also starting a Health Challenge at work, so I might be a little grumpy in the next few posts... Not that I haven't been that way already..

Heard from the kids at camp today and Ashton seems to have fallen in love with some boy name Danny and wants to bring him home with her.... We'll see....

One more thing that I have to write about that I'm dealing with is my work and if it's what I should be doing right now... I have been in prayer about it and have started to have that restless feeling that I get sometimes when change is coming... This is what my devotional had to say...

Lord, I pray You would show me what work I am supposed to be doing. If it is something I am to do in addition to what I am already doing, show me that too...

And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 91:17

Love you,

Lea Anne

No comments: